Pages

Sunday 15 September 2013

Alphabet Baby Quilt and extra ideas

I couldn't resist transforming Michael Miller's Italian Alphabet into this baby quilt:



The fabrics from this collection have been in my stash for a while now and it's one of my favourites. The style is very "vintage" and reminds me of the books my Italian Grandma, Nonna Clara, used to give me to play with when I was a child.




The striped border is a coordinating fabric that gives the quilt a modern twist and I like the effect. It makes the letters stand out, like a frame. The size of this quilt is 67 x 57 cm (26.38 x 22.44 inches), which I found was a really good size for using in a pram or wrapping round my baby for the first months. Of course it gets too small rather quickly (these babies grow so fast!!!) but then an alphabet quilt like this would look really good hanging up in a child's bedroom too, don't you think?

Along the edge of the  Italian Alphabet panel were these little pictures which I decided to use to make fabric magnets.


The house "casa" one in the top right hand corner has become this magnet:


Lucy loves magnets and this is a fun way for learning new words, moving them about on the fridge making up stories. As I had more than one Italian Alphabet (I told you I really like this collection!) why not make something different: a lavender sachet with the initial of the person you giving it to.







The winner of our 100th Blog Post Giveaway is Quilting Tangent! Congratulations, Pinocchio has found a new home! Bye bye!



14 comments:

  1. Lovely fabric, beautiful quilt and what a great way of using your extra alphabet pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I like your idea of a baby quilt that could become a wall hanging and yours is lovely. Thanks for linking up:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt and magnets. I love how your child will learn some Italian with the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute quilt and the magnets are a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love your quilt and what a great idea for a sachet! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous quilt! The fabric is just incredible--our fabric shop never has anything this beautiful when I look! The magnets and sachets are a fantastic idea, too.

    Angela xx
    Little Apple Tree

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a sweet quilt. I love the vintage feel of the letters. and I really love the striped border fabric as well!

    I'm so glad you shared at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that alphabet line too.
    Genius uses with the magnets and lavender pouches too.
    Thanks for linking up with us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I love the pretty colors! What a great first quilt or nursery wall hanging. Congrats on a great finish and thank you for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  10. The striped border in just the thing for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete