Pages

Saturday 28 September 2013

Global Scrap Bee and a thank you for Patchwork, Please with centimeters!

Just in the nick of time, I managed to finish my block for the Global Scrap Bee. Adrienne at Chezzetcook Quilts' turn this month. She picked a Patchwork Wheel block (the tutorial is here at Don't call me Betsy), and some beautiful beach colours. I know it was supposed to be a scrap bee but I was missing some of the colours so I HAD to do a little fabric shopping!


At first I wasn't at all convinced it was going to turn out all right and it's harder making something for somebody else, isn't it? My biggest problem was definitely using inches! I realised I didn't have a ruler with inches on it. Luckily my mat has inches on one side so I managed to get the size right in the end! 
Thank you Adrienne for introducing me to the Patchwork wheel! I'm now making one for myself in black and shades of grey. Will be showing it soon... I'm hooked!


Speaking of inches and centimeters, I would really like to thank Ayumi Takahashi who used both in her book "Patchwork, please!". You have no idea how much difference this makes for somebody who's working in centimeters not to have to convert the measurements every single step of a project. I think that if you want to sell a book (or pattern) all over the world, you should consider this.





9 comments:

  1. I really like this patch because of the colors you choose it makes the pattern really pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I couldn't answer you through e-mail (mail rejected!).
      In the end I like how it turned out too. Maybe if I were to remake it I'd mix the orange up a bit more, making it less geometric... I like seeing different effects you can make, starting from the same fabrics!

      Delete
  2. Living in Ireland I should be using cm but I work in inches and buy fabric in meters! I also measure my height in ft but weight in kg. I've written 2 block patterns for my blog and it never occurred to me to work in cm. I'll try next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying fabric by the meter means I have a bit left over when I need one yard. That leaves me room for mistakes!

      Delete
  3. Loving your block! Cannot wit to pair it up with the others. This Bee is so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popping in from the Small Blog hop. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors in that block! Popping over from Show & Tell Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful colour combination!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete